- “Of course, the book offers an important record of music history, but more strikingly, it is a testament to the truly creative partnership between the two women.”
- “An iconic glimpse into music history.”
- “From empathetic portraits to striking studio shoots, this visual narrative immortalizes an integral revolution in American rock music.”
- “Full of original poetry and lyrics by Smith, Before Easter After captures the magic of the musician during these fabled years, and is also a testament to the enduring friendship shared by its two authors.”
- “Before Easter After captures a place and time that can never be duplicated, a time-capsule of young, struggling artists down what turned out to be revolutionary work.”
- “The two artists have known one another for decades, and it shows. The colors are rich; Smith looks at peace. You could live inside photos like that.”
- “She was a paragon of cool; always with a trace of philosophy in her sensuality.”
Lynn Goldsmith. Patti Smith. Before Easter AfterEdition of 1,300Hardcover in clamshell box, 10.6 x 14.7 in., 14.14 lb, 296 pages1000Edition: English Availability: In Stock
Collector’s Edition (No. 201–1,500), each numbered and signed by Patti Smith and Lynn Goldsmith
Lynn Goldsmith. Patti Smith. Before Easter After1000
Before Easter After
Lynn Goldsmith and Patti Smith
Before Easter After documents a defining period in Smith’s career through Goldsmith’s probing and empathetic lens. Riding on the critical success of Horses, Smith released the uncompromising Radio Ethiopia and, just two years later, Easter—her most successful and controversial album. Edging toward her concrete post in history, yet free of an established public identity, Goldsmith provided what Smith calls “an atmosphere where I could be myself, unleash my own potential.”
In 1978, Goldsmith went on the road with The Patti Smith Group. She documented formative nights at CBGBs and was there during an accidental stage fall in Tampa, Florida, where Smith broke several vertebrae in her neck. It was during Smith’s recovery that they shot the cover of Easter and its breakthrough single “Because the Night.” Goldsmith’s studio shoots with Smith capture the enormous contradictions between ideals of strength and beauty, and are testament to Goldsmith’s unique ability to draw out both the cool and the spirit of her subjects.
With hundreds of unseen photographs the book also features an introduction, lyrics, poetry, and text by Smith that reflect her own interpretations of this watershed period in her life. Before Easter After pays tribute to an influential creative partnership between Goldsmith and Smith that continues to this day, and serves as fresh proof of the unparalleled talents of two greats who have always challenged the rules of rock ‘n’ roll.
Collector’s Edition (No. 201–1,500), each numbered and signed by Patti Smith and Lynn Goldsmith.
Also available in two signed Art Edition of 100 copies respectively (No. 1–200), each with a print signed by Lynn Goldsmith.
Lynn Goldsmith has documented over five decades of American culture, with subjects varying from music stars and entertainment personalities, to sports legends, film directors, and authors. She has published 13 books of her photographs, and her work has appeared editorially in publications such as TIME, LIFE, Vanity Fair, Rolling Stone, Interview, The New Yorker, Paris Match, and Vogue Italia. Her photographs are housed in institutional collections including The Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery, The Museum of Modern Art, The Chicago Museum of Contemporary Photography and The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The winner of numerous awards including the World Press Award in Portraiture and the Lucien Clergue award, Goldsmith was also featured on The New York Times Best Sellers list for her book New Kids.
Lynn Goldsmith. Patti Smith. Before Easter AfterEdition of 1,300Hardcover in clamshell box, 26.9 x 37.3 cm, 6.42 kg, 296 pages
ISBN 978-3-8365-7386-3Edition: English