- “…Kubrick’s vision and idiosyncratic methods were too much for some of his crew (and the critics) to bear, yet the near-miraculous achievement has never been surpassed in its genre, and this book is a monument, both physically and in substance, to that end.”
- “…more artefact than book.”
- “It really is an achingly handsome collection of work, exquisitely designed, bound and printed… it’s a timely reminder of how captivating a piece of print can be.”
- “Cinephiles and Kubrick fans alike are sure to have a field day.”
- “Moon children, polka-dot aliens, suckling ape suits, and many more intergalactic wrong turns are chronicled in a new behind-the-scenes book… in what TASCHEN brags is ‘the most exhaustive publication ever devoted’ to the film. At four volumes and 1,386 pages, The Making of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey is indeed exhaustive… it is larded with previously unseen photos, documents, and production art taken from Kubrick’s archives… Mad is actually a good adjective here. So is magnificent.”
- “The film’s closing sequence became a cultural ‘what's it all mean’ touchstone of the psychedelic 60s. But for your $ 750 price tag, the book published by TASCHEN doesn't solve that riddle either. It, like the movie, endures.”
- “A crucial piece of film history… and a true pinnacle reference material and honorary text on one of the most important films in cinema history.”
- “…the best book about 2OO1 that could have been written… an exclusive, detailed and ambitious look at everything to do with 2OO1.”
The Making of Stanley Kubrick’s '2001: A Space Odyssey'Edition of 1,000Monolith shaped metallic box, four volumes with Swiss binding, 7.8 x 17.3 in., 21.48 lb, 1386 pages2000Edition: English
This edition is sold out. However, occasionally, copies do become available again. Please register on our waiting list so we can inform you if this edition, or anything similar comes up.
Collector’s Edition (No. 501–1,500), signed by Christiane Kubrick
The Making of Stanley Kubrick’s '2001: A Space Odyssey'2000
The Making of Magic
How Stanley Kubrick's "2OO1: A Space Odyssey" revolutionized science fiction and the art of cinema
Get closer than ever to this movie that changed the movies. Conceived by the same designers behind our instant collectible Stanley Kubrick’s Napoleon: The Greatest Movie Never Made, this richly illustrated four-volume set features hundreds of previously unpublished documents and photographs, as well as personal testimony from Kubrick’s co-screenwriter Arthur C. Clarke. All hardcover volumes are presented in a sleek metal slipcase inspired by the famous monolith, and come boxed with exclusive cover art from Wayne Haag.
The Making of Stanley Kubrick’s 2oo1: A Space Odyssey
Four volumes with a metal slipcase, all designed by M/M (Paris):
Volume 1: Film stills
Volume 2: Behind the scenes (including new interviews with lead actors, senior production designers, and key special-effects experts)
Volume 3: Facsimile of original screenplay
Volume 4: Facsimile of original 1965 production notes
Plus a small comic surprise
Limited to a total of 1,500 copies, all signed by Christiane Kubrick:
Art Edition No 1-500 (Art Edition A and B, with a signed print by Brian Sanders) and Collector’s Edition No. 501-1,500
Copyright © 2014 Turner Entertainment Co.
2oo1: A Space Odyssey and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © Turner Entertainment Co.
M/M (Paris) is an art and design partnership consisting of Mathias Augustyniak and Michael Amzalag. Their portfolio includes art direction and collaborations with Björk, Balenciaga, and Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin, as well as with magazines including Vogue Paris, Interview, and Purple Fashion.
Piers Bizony is a science and technology writer. His publications include Atom, The Man Who Ran the Moon, Starman, and The Making of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey.
The Making of Stanley Kubrick’s '2001: A Space Odyssey'Edition of 1,000Monolith shaped metallic box, four volumes with Swiss binding, 19.8 x 44 cm, 9.74 kg, 1386 pages
ISBN 978-3-8365-4769-7Edition: English
No reviews have been posted for this item yet. Be the first to rate this product.