The Charlie Chaplin ArchivesHardcover, 33.7 x 24.6 cm, 3.18 kg, 560 pages60Availability: In Stock
The Charlie Chaplin Archives60
Brilliance in a Bowler Hat
Delving into the archives of slapstick genius
With unrestricted access to the Chaplin archives, TASCHEN presents the ultimate book on the making of every one of his films. With 900 images, including stills, memos, storyboards and on-set photos, as well as interviews with Chaplin and his closest collaborators, it reveals the process behind the Chaplin genius, from the impromptu invention of early shots to the meticulous retakes and reworking of scenes and gags in his classic movies: The Kid (1921), The Gold Rush (1925), The Circus (1928), City Lights (1931), Modern Times (1936), and the provocative Hitler parody The Great Dictator (1940).
The book includes:
- The Chaplin life history in words and pictures
- 900 images including many previously unseen stills, on-set photos, memos, documents, storyboards, posters, and designs, plus scripts and images for unmade films
- An oral history, told from the point of view of Chaplin himself, drawing upon his extensive writings, many of which have never been reprinted before.
- Supplementary interviews with some of his closest collaborators.
- Material from over 150 books of press clippings in Chaplin’s archives, which range from his early days in music halls to his death
- Chaplin’s short films, from Making a Living (1914) to The Pilgrim (1923), as well as all of his feature-length movies, from The Kid (1921) to A Countess from Hong Kong (1967)
Images and documents from the Chaplin Archives, © and/or Property of The Roy Export Company Ltd., scanned by Cineteca di Bologna
Paul Duncan is a film historian whose TASCHEN books include The Star Wars Archives, The James Bond Archives, The Charlie Chaplin Archives, The Godfather Family Album, Taxi Driver, Film Noir, and Horror Cinema, as well as publications on film directors, film genres, and movie stars.
The Charlie Chaplin ArchivesHardcover, 33.7 x 24.6 cm, 3.18 kg, 560 pages
ISBN 978-3-8365-8069-4Edition: German
ISBN 978-3-8365-8071-7Edition: French
ISBN 978-3-8365-8072-4Edition: English