- “…un volume per tutta la famiglia, da leggere insieme in salotto oppure la sera prima del bacio della buonanotte…” ”
- “…a hardcover meant to be passed down for generations, enjoyed by young and old.”
- “As much an art book as a repository of fantasy.”
- “The Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Andersen is absolutely exquisite, both as a typical TASCHEN masterwork of visual craftsmanship and as a timeless cultural treasure of storytelling by one of history’s greatest creative heroes.”
The Fairy Tales of Hans Christian AndersenQuarterbound with ribbon bookmarks, 8.1 x 10.1 in., 3.06 lb, 320 pages40Edition: French Availability: Currently not available
Enter your email address here and we will notify you when copies become available:
Discover an exciting new compilation of Hans Christian Andersen’s world-famous fairy tales; a return to childhood with the whole family in mind. The collection features 23 classic stories, vintage illustrations from artists such as Kay Nielsen and Lotte Reiniger, artist biographies, and silhouettes specially commissioned for this edition which bind all the magic together.
The Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Andersen40
A Cornerstone of Childhood Imagination
Hans Christian Andersen’s world-famous fairy tales
In addition to the tales and illustrations, the collection also contains a presentation of Andersen’s legacy, brief historical introductions to each fairy tale, and extended artists’ biographies in the appendix. Meant for the whole family, this precious edition shares the eternal magic of Andersen’s tales, celebrating his tender, heartfelt stories that have entered both our collective imagination and the literary canon.
- Brings together the most famous Hans Christian Andersen tales in a one-of-a-kind design
- Includes illustrations by famous artists from Austria, Britain, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Japan, Sweden, Ukraine, and the United States
- Features the highly esteemed translation by Jean Hersholt, accessible to readers of all ages
- Contains dozens of all-new silhouettes specially commissioned for the book
The following 23 fairy tales are featured in the book:
The Princess and the Pea, The Nightingale, The Swineherd, The Old Man Is Always Right, The Little Mermaid, The Emperor’s New Clothes, The Darning Needle, Twelve by Mail, The Brave Tin Soldier, The Snow Queen, The Flea and the Professor, Thumbelina, The Sweethearts, Ole Shut-Eye, Five Peas in a Pod, The Ugly Duckling, Little Ida’s Flowers, The Shepherdess and the Chimney Sweep, The Flying Trunk, The Little Match Girl, The Tinderbox, The Pen and Inkstand, and The Farmyard Cock and the Weathercock
About the translator
Danish-born Jean Hersholt (1886–1956) was a Hollywood actor and radio star who dedicated years of his life to translating all of Andersen’s tales from the original Danish. His English translations were first published in 1942. He was also an avid collector of Andersen books, letters, and manuscripts, amassing the largest collection of Anderseniana in the United States, and eventually donating it to the Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. Hersholt’s most famous acting roles were as Shirley Temple’s grandfather in the film Heidi (1937) and on the popular radio show Dr. Christian (1937–1954). The Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award is presented at the Oscars.
Hans Christian Andersen is known today as the most famous Scandinavian writer ever, and his brilliant talent for storytelling has endeared him to millions. He was born into poverty on April 2, 1805 in Odense, Denmark, a day that has since become known as International Children’s Book Day. Andersen was the first writer to create fantasy stories for children’s sake, spawning the modern phenomenon of make-believe stories told from the child’s perspective. By the end of his life, Andersen’s tales had made him famous worldwide, and he was deemed a “national treasure” by the Danish government.
Noel Daniel is a graduate of Princeton University and a former Fulbright Scholar to Berlin. Her TASCHEN publications include TATTOO 1730s-1950s, Kay Nielsen’s A Thousand and One Nights and East of the Sun and West of the Moon, The Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm, The Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Andersen, Wintertime Tales, Magic, and The Circus.
The Fairy Tales of Hans Christian AndersenQuarterbound with ribbon bookmarks, 20.5 x 25.6 cm, 1.39 kg, 320 pages
ISBN 978-3-8365-2677-7Edition: French