Ai WeiweiEdition of 1,000Hardcover, clothbound, wrapped in a silk scarf, 13.0 x 17.3 in., 22.86 lb, 724 pages4500Edition: English, French, German
This edition is sold out. However, occasionally, copies do become available again. Please register on our waiting list so we can inform you if this edition, or anything similar comes up.
Collector’s Edition (No. 101–1,100), each signed by Ai Weiwei and wrapped in a silk scarf
Living Art on the Edge
The comprehensive story of Ai Weiwei’s life and work
This book, signed by the artist, is the first comprehensive monograph on Ai Weiwei’s life and work. Compiled in close collaboration with Ai and with direct access to his own archives, it explores the artist's particular brand of expression and activism over more than 700 pages of images and text.
- Many previously unseen images, from photos taken during Ai’s time in New York to production shots of large installations in the workshop and pictures from his studio.
- Essays from Uli Sigg, Ai’s long-time friend and former Swiss ambassador to China; Roger M. Buergel, who curated the 2007 Documenta and hosted the artist’s Fairytale piece; and experts on Chinese culture and politics, Carlos Rojas, William A. Callahan, and James J. Lally.
- Numerous statements derived from exclusive interviews with Ai Weiwei, conducted especially for this publication.
- Full-page chapter openers designed by the artist in traditional paper-cut style.
- The volume is wrapped in a silk scarf (110 cm x 100 cm, Habotai silk), based on a detail from Ai’s work Straight, a reference to the Sichuan earthquake of 2008.
Collector’s Edition (No. 101–1,100), each signed by Ai Weiwei and wrapped in a silk scarf. Also available as an Art Edition (No. 1-100) with a marble bookstand.
Born in Beijing in 1957, Ai Weiwei is renowned for making strong aesthetic statements that resonate across today’s geopolitical world. From architecture to sculpture and installations, social media to documentaries, he uses a wide range of media for new ways of artistically examining society and its values. He is the recipient of the 2015 Ambassador of Conscience Award from Amnesty International and the 2012 Václav Havel Prize for Creative Dissent from the Human Rights Foundation. Ai’s first feature-length documentary Human Flow premiered at the 74th Venice Film Festival in competition. He currently lives and works in Cambridge, Berlin, and Montemor-o-Novo, Portugal.
Hans Werner Holzwarth is a book designer and editor specializing in contemporary art and photography. His TASCHEN publications include the Collector’s Editions Jeff Koons, Christopher Wool, Albert Oehlen, Ai Weiwei, and the David Hockney SUMO A Bigger Book, as well as monographs like the XXL-sized Jean-Michel Basquiat.
Ai WeiweiEdition of 1,000Hardcover, clothbound, wrapped in a silk scarf, 33 x 44 cm, 10.37 kg, 724 pages
ISBN 978-3-8365-4659-1Edition: English, French, German
No reviews have been posted for this item yet. Be the first to rate this product.