- “Fashion photography is a competitive field, but there's one art book above all that remains incredibly monumental: Helmut Newton's SUMO.”
- “Cool, controversial and classic.”
- “A collector’s item if ever there was one.”
- “TASCHEN reminds us what all the fuss was about with an anniversary edition of SUMO, a collection of museum-sized prints bound and elegantly packaged in a monochrome casing with one of Newton’s Giant Nudes on the cover, a hint at the arresting selection of silver, pearl and shadow-toned captures within.”
- “Timeless. A reference work.”
Helmut Newton. SUMO. 20th Anniversary EditionHardcover with booklet in slipcase, 10.5 x 14.7 in., 13.32 lb, 464 pages150Edition: English, French, German Availability: In Stock
Helmut Newton. SUMO. 20th Anniversary Edition150
20 Years of SUMO
The Helmut Newton SUMO in XL, revised by June Newton, with a making-of booklet
Published in an edition of 10,000 signed and numbered copies, the SUMO sold out soon after publication and quickly multiplied its value. It now features in numerous collections around the world, including New York’s Museum of Modern Art. The legendary copy number one, signed by more than 100 of the book’s featured celebrities, broke the record for the most expensive book published in the 20th century, sold at an auction in Berlin on April 6, 2000 for 620,000 German marks—about 317,000 euros.
Now, this XL edition celebrates 20 years of SUMO, the result of a project conceived by Helmut Newton some years ago. Revised by his wife June, the volume gathers 464 images and a new booklet that takes us through the making-of this publishing venture—a spectacular tribute to the larger-than-life Helmut Newton, now in a friendly format.
Images © The Helmut Newton Estate / Maconochie Photography
Helmut Newton (1920–2004) was one of the most influential photographers of all time. He first achieved international fame in the 1970s while working principally for French Vogue, where he was celebrated for his controversial scenarios and the ability to make a thoroughly planned photograph seem fresh and dynamic. His many titles and awards include Commandeur dans l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres.
June Newton (1923–2021) has worked as a photographer under the pseudonym Alice Springs since 1970. Her work has been featured in numerous exhibitions and publications, including Vanity Fair, Interview, Elle, and Vogue. Her many famous subjects include William S. Burroughs, Catherine Deneuve, Graham Greene, Vivienne Westwood, Ralph Gibson, Roy Lichtenstein, Robert Mapplethorpe, Yves Saint Laurent, and Nicole Kidman.
Helmut Newton. SUMO. 20th Anniversary EditionHardcover with booklet in slipcase, 26.7 x 37.4 cm, 6.04 kg, 464 pages
ISBN 978-3-8365-7819-6Edition: English, French, German